20090202

Mexico City/Day 2




The shows are finally finished! Now we have about 30 hours of post production to do hopefully we can knock that out in two days. Kirby, the head of Buchanan's decided that we should take a day off to go and check out Mexico City, I love that guy. So I decided that this would be a perfect time to go skateboarding! How perfect its January and I can skate outside with a short sleeved shirt on. I looked up the Fransisco L Medero Skatepark, a park I have seen in plenty of skate videos. We looked up the address and had a driver take us from the hotel, I felt a little silly rolling up to the park in a Lincoln Towncar. The ride to the park took about 30 minutes and we went through some gnarley parts of town. It was a great way to see Mexico City I really enjoyed the car ride plus I had the excitement of skating a park in another country! As we drove through the mean streets of Mexico City I was fixated on the people,traffic, and street vendors. Almost every inch of all the store fronts in Mexico City are filled with bad graffitti, a taggers paradise. I love the colors in Mexico vibrant colors on everything and great signage everywhere. We pulled into the park and paid 10 pesos to get in it was a huge park with soccer fields and playgrounds and of course the skatepark. It seems no matter what park I go to I always getter butterflies in my stomach,not from nervousness but from excitement. The park was sort of crowded with kids I threw down my skateboard and headed for the bowls,at last I am skating Mexico City! I checked out the bowls there are two medium bowls that are really fun, and there are 4 huge bowls that are pretty gnarly. The kids there were like kids at any other skate park hanging out with their bros, skating and having fun. Although my Spanish is terrible all of the kids I came in contact with were really cool ,we just communicated through skateboarding. Everyone was really cool the bowls are a little rough but really fun and I loved the fact that I saw so many girls skating. My friend Elyse is studying in Mexico City for a semester and we had planned on meeting up at the skate park a couple of weeks before. I didn't have her cell in Mexico so I tried sending an email in hopes that she would check it and we could meet up. As it turns out she didn't check her email but ended up going to the park anyway, I was skating looked up and saw her skating and I yelled "ELYSE!!!" She looked up in amazement, it was really nice to see a familiar face in a foreign land. We were pretty stoked to be skating in Mexico City together,we hit the medium bowls for most of the day. Gabe came along with me he busted out his video camera and got some footage. It was really funny I think these kids thought I was a pro skateboarder and they wanted to take a picture with me, it was weird and really funny. Soon we had to split so we asked Elyse if she wanted a ride home since we had a driver. Her place was near our hotel so we dropped her off, I got a quick portrait of her in front of her house and we said goodbye. Gabe and I decided to take our driver out for dinner we found a taco joint and ordered some grub and headed to back to our hotel. I felt great! What a day skating in Mexico City, the only thing I needed was an ice cold beer which was awaiting me at the hotel bar!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you're enduring a lot of whiskey + steak, absolute crazy car traffic, and absolute beauty, Steven -- happy you're having such a fantastic time. Get you back home & I'll make sure I drive real safe & graceful down to see the mural, and whether occasion calls for more whiskey or totally something different, sure we'll have a time. Glad to speak with you the other evening and very humbly happy we'll have a project once you're back. Meanwhile, Bests!!

    ReplyDelete