20090128

Bogota,Columbia Day #2



Well I actually had the day off yesterday.So Gabe,Rene,Andrea,Natalia and I went to check out Bogota. Andrea and Natalia do PR work for Buchannan's ,Andrea is from Brazil and Natalia is from Argentina. We started off by going to the laundry mat to drop of our dirty clothes. After that we went to Cerro de Monserrate, this is a mountain that has a church,a restaurant and a market at the top. Its 3.125 meters to the top and extremely steep and you get to the top via a tram. On the way up you can see all of Bogota its very beautiful,Bogota is a huge city. As you near the top, the city seems to be a mirage and then suddenly you find your self in one of the most beautiful places ever! On top of a mountain thats surrounded by more mountains in South America! After taking in the scene of the mountains and the city below we decided to walk around the market then have lunch in this old rustic restaurant. It was very dim lighting and concrete walls it and all natural wood every where, it was quite nice. For lunch I had a lobster bisque and a glass of Argentinean red wine. I was taking photographs all day of local people and got some very good shots I was quite pleased. Soon it was time to go and for me the scariest part the long descent to the bottom. I'm pretty sure everyone on the tram quietly had the same fear I had but alas we made it down safe. After that we headed to the old town square of Bogota,this place is great old world buildings and street everywhere! Upon walking to the square you pass lots of street vendors making plantains and other street food,then you hit the square a huge open area filled with people and pigeons with some of the most beautiful old world buildings I have ever seen. Natalia decided to feed the pigeons and they came in droves flying everywhere. I really love Bogota its a great city the people are very nice and it has quite a cosmopolitan feel. The downtown are of the city has gotten to be safe,kidnappings have gone down drastically although there was a bombing a block and a half away from my hotel. I was actually in the lobby and felt the entire building shake. Apparently a Block buster was bombed in some sort of extortion attempt.........Crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment